Saddleback Memorial’s centers of excellence are renowned for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer, heart disease, stroke, pulmonary disease, orthopedics and diabetes; and for leadership in emergency medicine, critical care medicine, breast health, outpatient rehabilitation, advanced imaging, women’s health, geriatric care and surgery, including robotic-assisted procedures.
Saddleback Memorial Medical Center has consistently been named one of Healthgrades’ America’s 50 Best Hospitals, an achievement gained by just 1% of the nation’s hospitals. It has also been honored among Truven Health Analytics’ Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals in the U.S., consecutively voted Orange County’s #1 Best Hospital in the Orange County Register’s Best of Orange County poll of readers and has appeared on both Becker’s Hospital Review and Thomson Reuters’ lists of America’s Best Hospitals. Saddleback Memorial’s U.S. News & World Report “high-performance” ranking categories included Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
The Surgical Technician supports the department of Surgical Services in the provision of patient care by the coordination of surgical instrumentation and performance of scrub technologist activities. Additional responsibilities include the provision of organizational, communication and assistive skills necessary to facilitate the flow of surgical service activities. These responsibilities include availability/maintenance of instruments, adherence to the principles of asepsis, knowledge of surgical procedures, and support of resources to patients, visitors, physicians, staff and ancillary personnel. Additional duties support orientation/training of new personnel and collaboration with the healthcare team towards achieving fiscal and quality care goals and of outcomes for the divisions within surgical services. The position also supports the Materials Coordinator and Director of Surgical Services in the implementation of surgical services activities.
Examples of duties include:
* Communication to facilitate patient care delivery and unit efficiency
* Performance of daily organization of surgical field
* Provide case specific supplies, instrumentation and equipment
* Adheres to Patient Safety Protocol
* Maintain unit readiness for emergency cases
* Assist with instrumentation and supplies for surgery schedule (case picking)
* Maintain current/accurate unit information
* Participate in patient charge process/preference list updates
* Assist with instrument room activities
* Support staff cross-training