Quincy Medical Group History
When Dr. Walter M. Whitaker brought the first EKG machine to Quincy in 1930, little did he know what remarkable advancements in medicine were to come? Seven years later, in 1937, Dr. Whitaker, Dr. Orie F. Shulian, and Dr. Kent W. Barber merged their private practices and opened the Quincy Clinic. This early clinic introduced the innovative concept of group practice to the tri-state area. The idea of group medicine has advanced greatly over the last half-century, but in 1937 the concept was new. In fact, at the time, less than one hundred group practices existed in the entire country, with only two or three in Illinois. The early clinic contained a complete diagnostic and therapeutic unit and was considered to be one of the most modern buildings in Quincy.
In 1945, the Physicians & Surgeons Clinic opened its doors and Quincy became one of the Midwest’s primary centers for healthcare. The Physicians & Surgeons Clinic and the Quincy Clinic merged in 1987, combining their vast resources in staff and equipment.
In the spring of 1994, a new state-of-the-art medical facility was opened at 1025 Maine Street and became known as Quincy Medical Group. Apr...il 2003, saw the grand opening of a new four-story facility at 1118 Hampshire street, housing various medical services and offices, with the Surgery Center of Quincy occupying the top floor. Quincy Medical Group’s affiliate offices in Canton, LaBelle, and Lewistown, Missouri; Barry, Mount Sterling, Pittsfield, Pleasant Hill and Winchester, Illinois; and Keokuk, Iowa provide quality primary care to our patients in the tri-state region.
Proud of our past and always looking to the future, Quincy Medical Group continues to provide patients throughout the area quality medical care and service.